Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Illin'


I can never remember whether or not you should feed a cold and starve a fever or starve a cold and feed a fever. When in doubt, I eat a bunch of healthy stuff. The day I realize that I'm sick, I stuff myself with vitamins, smoothies, juices, the requisite chicken soup, sushi, and anything else I can think of. There isn't that much logic to my choices. If I can bend it to be healthy, it goes down the hatch. I don't know if this ever makes me feel better, but the placebo effect might be worth it if nothing else works.

Yesterday, I took all sorts of juice shots and smoothies from Daily Juice at 45th and Duval. A rather healthy looking vegan behind the counter said to eat a lot of raw garlic. I went home and minced seven cloves of raw garlic, put it in a shot glass, and topped it off with some orange juice. I don't know if it made me feel better or by how much, but I was able to measure how much it made me smell like garlic. At least it forced me to stay home and avoid all aquaintances. My skin is finally starting to smell less like an Italian dish and more like me.

I'm feeling better as well. It's uncertain whether or not anything I ate or drank contributed to this, but I will continue to down all my traditional sick foods for fear that leaving one of them out will doom me to a hopsital bed.

(If you have any remedies, I like to try them out.)

No comments: